Hi there!

Absolutely nothing beats the joy of watching water colours play on paper from the touch of a brush in my hand. I have and always will enjoy painting even though it sometimes takes me ages to get into the momentum of painting. ‘Scribbles and Splashes’ is a blog that I once began when I wanted to let go of the pent-up urge to splash with water colours and share pictures and the behind-the-scenes thoughts with my family sitting kilometres away from me. Over the years, it has been dormant for months (nearing a year and sometimes even more such as when motherhood beckoned!) and then been active in fits and starts.

Mid-2013 is when I feel like looking into the mirror and declaring this as “The Moment” that this becomes the year of the revival and flourish of ‘Scribbles and Splashes’, the blog and its growth into a self-sufficient near-full-time engagement for me.

I thrive in art. Period. If I could, that’s all that I would do all day long. It seems like a distant dream right now, but this is where I start playing around with a wish and seeing how it takes shape. I’m splashing, I’m scribbling about it and I’m becoming “an artist”. From exactly right now.

January 15, 2008

The Iris Virus


No, no, no - I don't want to offend the Irises of the world! It's their addictive beauty that caught my fancy since I saw the first ever. I once tried to paint a few on a really large sheet of paper and (Heavens forgive me!) even framed it as a gift. I couldn't look at a picture of an iris for a while thereafter - every time I did, I felt as if faced with rightful indignance.

However, it's hard to resist the ladylike soft charms of an Iris in full bloom. I downloaded pictures and painting of irises by the dozen and finally chose two from this treasure-chest for a painting that I never new I'd imagined. It had to be two queens dancing asplendour and dressed in colours that contrasted each other, but did not desire to overshadow.

The process was a lesson with many sub-chapters on water colour painting. To count on my fingertips, I learnt...

  • How much water to use while blending.
  • How to blend colour with the white of the paper.
  • How colours seem different when they dry up and therefore what degree of dilution is required for a certain desired tonal variation.

And how easy it is to skip a bath when you're drenching paper in colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment